Monday, March 19, 2012

Day 1 and 2




Hello from Belize! And yes we are really in the jungle that happens to be close to a beach.




We made it safely yesterday with no delays and no luggage issues! Belize has four roads and we traveled on all of them. It took us around four hours from the airport to arrive in Hopkins, the township we are staying. It is in the Stann Creek District. We are in south end of Belize. We were all exhausted last night after a long day of travel. It was so good to sit and talk to David and Karen and hear what we were going to be doing and we spent time listening to them share their heart.


This morning we started off on the long dusty road to Light of the Valley School. We were nervous, excited and ready to see what God had in store for us. Our pallet is still not here but we had managed to squeeze drills and enough supplies to get us started. We started the morning worshiping with the children. I can't tell you the feeling in the room when we got to hear them sing one of their favortie songs for us, "Everythings okay. Everythings allright. I've got Jesus in my life."


The team divided up after worship and the kids ran into classrooms. The men started working and were able to complete a water fountain with six spouts. The men also rewired the kitchen at the school. The missionaries were able to get the Stop Hunger Now program started at the local schools in the Valley. That program kicked off today and we were excited to see it come to fruition. Corey and Michael were able to help Karen deliver foods to several schools and even operation Christmas child boxes. Melisa helped prepare lunch for the kids at Light of the Valley. Rice and Chicken. We were serving lunch when I started to notice several children we had fed trying to come back to get more food. We had to say no. One little girl probably around five tried for more food by saying it was for her sister. Hungry children is something I just can't swallow. We are so spoiled.




I don't think I have seen poverty. I mean, I thought I knew what poverty looked like but what I have seen and tasted does not compare. I was covered in little hands all day. You see kids are kids no matter where they live. At one time I was playing Simon Says and I looked up and had around thirty kids laughing and giggling and playing right along. I got to spend some time with two teachers today and both shared their "dreams" for the future. One wants to help abused children at her school. One has been teaching for 18 years and he would like to retire and then be able "to do something that makes a difference." You see the difference was made in my heart today.


It didn't take long for a little face to find my ankle scar and I got to share my story of how God got me still. I was thankful for sunglasses to hide tears. And I was more thankful to know that God has them in His hands and in His perfect plan.








2 comments:

  1. Praise God our heavenly father! Glory to His name. My heart is heavy for the people in this place, I'm praying for all of you, thank you for answering His call on your lives. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for all of you from the Atlanta airport (my second home). I pray that God will open your eyes and allow you to see how he is working. Thank you all for being faithful and stepping out and living the example we should all be. Love you all and Praise God for what He is going to do. I pray God will bless you and the people you will work along side and those you are able to share with. Joe Davis.

    ReplyDelete